▼ For more paintings and Information
I still remember the moment I first saw his paintings on the Internet. I was so fascinated by his perfect paintings. Every detail was so cute and beguiling that I couldn’t take my eyes off them.
I was a highschool student at that time. Believe or not, I had to stay in school literally from morning till night everyday except on Sundays. It means I was sitting at my desk at least 12 hours a day! I printed his paintings. Then, I taped some of them on my desk in school and kept the others in my study planner that I’ve always carried.
When I was tired of studying, I looked at the printed paintings and got some power. I guess I could escape from monotonously repetitive reality that I’ve faced. And I might empathize with the chracters in his paintings. They had expressionless faces and blood.
- Born in 1963, American painter.
- One of the most well known artists of the Pop Surrealist movement.
- Draws his inspiration from anything that will evoke mystery; old toys, anatomical models, stuffed animals, skeletons and religious ephemera found in flea markets.
- Ryden’s pictures hint at the psychic stuff that pullulates beneath the sentimental, nostalgic and naive surface of modern kitsch.
- Seduced by his infinitely detailed and meticulously glazed surfaces, the viewer is confronted with the juxtaposition of the childhood innocence and the mysterious recesses of the soul.
- A subtle disquiet inhabits his paintings; the work is achingly beautiful as it hints at darker psychic stuff beneath the surface of cultural kitsch.
- Ornately carved frames lend the paintings a baroque exuberance that adds gravity to their enigmatic themes.
- His paintings have been exhibited in museums and galleries worldwide( But, not in Korea 😦 )
From ‘Wikipedia’ and ‘his official site’ (www.markryden.com/biography)
These are some his paintings I like.
I’m pretty sure that you can figure out what he likes to paint. 🙂
Pastel colors especially pink and Bees, Lincoln, Girls with expressionless face, Meat, Blood, Tree, Weird animals, Babies, Jesus, Bunnies…
- Shiori Matsumoto – Surrealist (kikihena.wordpress.com)